Search This Blog

January 12, 2010

Important Noises In My Daily Routine

It is a funny thing when suddenly your brain clues into the sound of a subconscious noise that has been recurring in your life for as long as you can remember. In fact, it is almost annoying as this realization spawns an epidemical awareness of the exact sound that assists this habitual daily activity. I find that these realizations of certain sounds are usually provoked by the sudden detection of certain characteristics such as repetition, volume, exclusivity, etc.

I have noticed that in the morning, there is a noise that my brain seems to automatically listen for. No, I am not talking about the loathsome, pitchy jingle of my phone’s alarm waking me up, but rather a noise that is quite the opposite due to its deepness in comparison. This obnoxious sound is the loud slam of my bedroom’s door. Living in Hingston Hall with heavy doors and echoing hallways, it is difficult to avoid the loud smashing noise of metal slamming on metal as you let the door go. Of course one could always hold the door and slowly shut it, attempting to confine as much noise as possible, but this act is often a hard one to remember until the damage of a loud noise is already done. The quiet mornings only emphasize the sound, isolating this noise in my series of morning noises. By standing out, it is safe to say this is an important noise in my life. Every morning this noise grabs my attention in two ways. Firstly, as I leave my room for the bathroom, my groggy state allows me to forget the loud, smashing echo that is to come once I am a few steps from my room. Although my phone physically awakens me, it is this screaming resonance that mentally tells me to ‘rise and shine.’ This sound is important in my daily routine, as it has almost become a necessity to my mornings. Secondly, the recollection of this noise fills my thoughts as I reenter my room, in hopes of not ever letting it happen again. Although I promise myself to gently close my door for the rest of my life, I have come to terms that this sequence of events and thoughts is inevitably going to happen again the following morning.

Due to the amazing technology of our day, blackberries have made the sound of little typing keys a constant noise that is carried out in my daily life. Blackberries provide us with the ability to access friends and family not only through phone calls but as well, through texting, facebook, e-mail, blackberry messenger, etc. It is amazing to think that if one form of communication fails, there are always several other options my cellular device has to offer. Unfortunately, this increases the amount of time spent on my phone, therefore increasing the faint noise of clicking buttons underneath my nails. The sound of little clicking keys on my blackberry is an interesting noise due to the amount of times it can be heard throughout the day. It was not until I was in a room where someone was quietly napping, that I realized even this subtle ‘tick, click, click-click, tick’ sound can gain significance not through volume but rather repetition.

The high beep that is triggered by my access card when held next to the lock to get into residents is one of the most important sounds within my day. I enjoy this sound because it represents success. This smooth beep lets me know I have been accepted! It has recognized my honesty and is rewarding me with admittance to my home. I feel relief from its approval and comfort from the fact it is always exactly the same pitch. This pitch is almost like a friendly “HIII” in a beautiful G/F# (if I had to guess), like a kind mother welcoming her child home. It is the absence of this noise that is extremely displeasing. Thankfully, I am lucky to say it has never failed me (as long as I introduce it to my access key).

The pounding rhythm of my feet against the treadmill is important to me as it plays an important role in my workout routine. Sometimes it helps to pass the time when you play the game called ‘match-your-running-rhythm-to-the-beat-of–the-music’ playing inside the gym or in your head. Although there is the repetitive thud of my running shoes forcing themselves upon the surface of the moving conveyor belt, the pattern of my running feet is forever changing throughout my run. The rhythm of my feet is always trying to match the beat of the song that is playing, and the volume of the thud is dependent on the speed and weight of my step. This means that this sound that is present in my daily routine is unique everyday, since the factors are altered with every workout.

The buzzing hum of my refrigerator at night is a calming sound to go to bed too. My room is quiet and therefore this noise seems to stand out in contrast to the silence. I enjoy listening to this drone as I think about the wonders of my day and slowly drift off into a dream full of imagined noises. The low buzz of my fridge is an important part of my daily routine because sleeping is the final step of my daily routine. This faint hum is a key noise in my set of daily noises, because it means I have finally ended me eventful day. I can only hear this noise once I am safe and sound in the comfort of my own bed, as its ability to be heard is only possible when paired with complete silence.

These five noises demonstrate the care, innovation, success, exercise and rewarding rest that all contribute to my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment